Paige Harrison, is our brilliant Content Marketing Executive here at General & Medical.
World Environment Day raises awareness worldwide for the protection of our environment. It began in 1974 and has become a global platform, being celebrated in over 100 countries. This year India is hosting World Environment Day and the theme is beating plastic pollution.
This year’s theme aims to bring everyone together to explore sustainable alternatives and reduce the use and production of single-use plastic, which is polluting our oceans and damaging marine life.
6 plastic pollution facts to get you thinking:
- Each year we use up to 5 trillion plastic bags
- At least 13 tonnes of plastic ends up in our oceans every year, which is the equivalent to a full garbage truck every minute
- 50% of the plastic we use is single-use or disposable
- 100,000 marine animals are killed by plastic every year
- 1 million plastic bottles are purchased every minute
- More plastic had been produced in the last decade than in the whole last century
We can all make changes to fit our lifestyle and reduce plastic pollution and this will benefit our environment, wildlife and our own health and wellbeing.
Ways that you can help:
- Avoid using and buying single-use goods (this might be cutlery, cups and straws)
- Check how recyclable the products you buy are
- Avoid over packaged products
- Avoid single-use plastic bags
- Reuse products and up-cycle where possible
- Separate your general waste from your recycling
- Use a reusable bottle and coffee cup
- Swap to loose leaf tea with a tea strainer instead of using teabags which are sealed with plastic
- Use a bar of soap instead of liquid soap in a plastic bottle
We get it, sometimes it’s hard to adapt to change, but such simple changes can really make an impact on the environment for the better. It’s vital for our oceans, our marine wildlife and importantly our health. Don’t just change your habits for one day, really make it count and make a difference.
If you want to make an even more positive change to your healthcare then we offer a range of flexible health insurance policies suitable to all budgets. Just click the link below to get your online quote.
This content is subject to our Disclaimer.