Reduced Sugar Oat & Blueberry Muffins
|Makes: 18 muffins|
|Prep Time: 20 mins|
|Cooks In: 20-25 mins|
- 400g self-raising flour
- 75g brown sugar, reserve two tablespoons for sprinkling
- 50g honey
- 250ml milk
- 2 medium eggs
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 175g fresh blueberries, washed and lightly squashed with a fork
- Preheat the oven to 200c, gas mark 6.
- Line a muffin tray with paper cases.
- Using a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs together until well mixed, then add the oil and milk.
- Stir until loosely mixed, then add the brown sugar and honey and mix until a smooth, batter-like consistency is reached.
- Sift in the flour and mix well, then add the crushed blueberries.
- Spoon into the muffins cases until they are approximately two-thirds filled, lightly sprinkle the tops with the reserved brown sugar then bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes until they are risen and firm to touch. Insert a metal skewer into the centre to double check, if the skewer comes out clean then the muffins are cooked.
- Turn out the muffins onto a cooling rack to cool completely before eating.
If blueberries are not your bag, or for some equally fruity alternatives, you could try swapping the blueberries for the same quantity of mashed banana, poached pear and vanilla or steamed apple with a teaspoon of cinnamon.
This content is subject to our Disclaimer.