Are you getting enough sleep?
A night of full night sleep is a luxury for some, it could be that you are up with the kids, have work on your mind, work shifts or are just generally a really light sleeper.
Sleep plays a vital part of our day-to-day lives and without it, you might turn into a zombie, fall asleep at work, start to feel down and unhappy and find it difficult to concentrate on different tasks.
It’s not the end of the world if you’ve been missing out on some of that vital sleep. You can get it back by simply catching up. Sleep has many benefits other than just allowing you to function correctly. The correct amount of sleep can boost your immunity, help you lose weight, boost your mental wellbeing and prevent diabetes, and if that’s not enough to interest you then it can also increase your sex drive and boost your fertility!
The National Sleep Foundation recommends that:
- Newborns (0-3 months): 14-17 hours
- Infants (4-11 months): 12-15 hours
- Toddlers (1-2 years): 11 to 14 hours
- Preschool (3-5 years): 10 to 13 hours
- School age (9-13): 9 to 11 hours
- Teenager (14-17): 8 to 10 hours
- Young Adult (18-25): 7 to 9 hours
- Adult (26-64): 7 to 9 hours
- Older Adult (65+): 7 to 8 hours
Here are a few ways in which you can help improve your sleeping routine:
- Regulate your body clock by sticking to a sleep schedule even on the weekends.
- Find a relaxing routine/activity before you go to bed whether this is yoga, meditation, reading a book or just having a soak in the bath.
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine and alcohol at least four to six hours before you head to bed, as these can keep you awake.
- If you can’t get to sleep after 20 minutes then get out of bed and do something relaxing until you are tired.
- Make a list. Write down the things that are stressing you out, if you have a lot on your mind. This helps remind you that you have a plan in action for the next day and you won’t forget anything you have to do.
Private Health Insurance
Our private health insurance cover can help take some of that stress off your hands and allow you to relax, knowing that we have you covered! When you take out a policy with use we’ll give you access to exclusive lifestyle rewards which includes over 200 unique deals, with offers on a wide range of luxury, products, services and experiences.
This content is subject to our Disclaimer.
Live a healthier lifestyle and use code GYM01 to get 20% off a Nuffield Health Gym membership when you take out any policy with us.