Make this year your year for health and get 15% off ALL of our healthcare policies - Get a quote
How to use up the rest of your Christmas turkey
Have you got lots of turkey left over from your festive feast and don’t want to throw it away? Don’t worry, because there are plenty of healthy recipes out which incorporate left-over turkey!
Here are some of our favourite healthy meals you can enjoy with your family after Christmas.
Classic turkey curry
A family favourite typically enjoyed after Christmas day, it doesn’t take long to make so you won’t be stuck in the kitchen all day, and you can easily store it for another meal.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 - 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tbsp of curry powder (mild, medium or hot)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 400-450g leftover turkey meat
- 400g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 300ml of vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp of desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- Salt & pepper
- Fry the onion and garlic in the oil for about 5 to 10 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add the spices and curry powder, and fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Thoroughly mix in the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a simmer and stir the curry at regular intervals for about 15 to 20 minutes, do not allow to boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with steamed/boiled rice
Turkey salad platter
Serve up this delightfully bright and fresh platter of turkey and salad on Boxing Day and keep the whole family feeling full, happy and healthy!
- 6 large eggs
- 50g pancetta, sliced
- 50ml rapeseed oil
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 500g cooked turkey, sliced
- 3 heads of chicory leaves, separated
- 2 medium sliced avocados
- 4 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds
- Firstly, cook the eggs in a large pan of boiling water until hard boiled (approx. 8 mins) leave to cool in a bowl of cold water.
- Meanwhile, grill the pancetta for 3-4 mins, or until crisp. Pat with kitchen paper to remove any excess oil and leave to cool.
- Whisk the oil, vinegar, mustard, parsley and garlic together, peel and halve the eggs.
- Arrange the turkey, chicory leaves, avocado slices, tomatoes, pancetta and eggs on a large platter. Drizzle over the dressing, season and serve with the seeds on the side for sprinkling over.
Spicy turkey stir-fry
For a quick, healthy fix, whip up this tasty stir-fry in no time and you’ll be satisfied for longer so you won’t be tempted to pick at the other treats lying around the house.
- 250g medium egg noodles
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 500g cooked turkey
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 100g beansprouts
- 30g salted peanuts (or any other nuts you have left over)
- Roughly chopped coriander and lime wedges, to serve
- Cook the noodles according to packet instructions, drain and rinse with cold water.
- Mix the soy, lime juice and sugar together.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok and add the garlic, chilli, turkey and spring onions, fry for around 2 mins, then tip in the noodles and the beansprouts and fry for 1 min.
- Pour the sauce into the pan and toss everything together well, working quickly to coat all the vegetables and noodles, season to taste.
- Immediately tip into bowls, scatter over the nuts and coriander, and serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.
Source: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/ Private Health Insurance With a new year fast approaching, if you’re looking for help and advice about how you can stay healthy, take private health insurance out with us and we’ll give you access to our Health and Wellbeing support services, including wellbeing resources, four-week programmes and free health tools.
Private Health Insurance
With a new year fast approaching, if you’re looking for help and advice about how you can stay healthy, take private health insurance out with us and we’ll give you access to our Health and Wellbeing support services, including wellbeing resources, four-week programmes and free health tools.
This content is subject to our Disclaimer.
Live a healthier lifestyle and get 20% off a Nuffield Health Gym membership when you take out any policy with us.
We offer Private Health Insurance that can cover some pre-existing conditions.
Make this year your year for health and use code 'SALE' to get 15% off ALL of our private health insurance policies, just get your free quote today!