Live a healthier lifestyle and use code GYM01 to get 20% off a Nuffield Health Gym membership when you take out any policy with us.
Ease your hay fever symptoms
Did you know that hay fever is one of the most common allergies and affects around 13 million people in the UK alone? Early spring to the end of summer is usually when hay fever is at its worst, mainly because of the warm and humid weather, and it’s when the pollen count reaches its highest during the year.
What is hay fever?
Hay fever is where people are allergic to pollen (a fine powder that plants make to reproduce). The allergic reaction occurs when pollen comes into contact with either your nose, mouth, eyes or throat and can cause a variety of symptoms for sufferers. Grass pollen is one of the most common allergens, but tree and weed pollen can additionally cause an allergic reaction.
Hay fever symptoms
The severity of hay fever symptoms change from person to person but often include:
- A blocked or runny nose
- Red, itchy or watery eyes
- Itchy ears, nose, throat or mouth
- Feeling tired
Antihistamines are the most effective way to control the symptoms of hay fever, and these are usually available at pharmacies without a prescription. There is no cure for hay fever, but you can ease your symptoms:
- Limit your exposure to pollen, stay indoors when the pollen count is high
- Keep windows and doors closed
- Keep dust at bay in your home by hoovering and dusting regularly
- Vaseline around your nostrils can help trap pollen
- Wraparound sunglasses can prevent pollen from getting into your eyes
- Change your clothes and shower after you have been outdoors to remove any pollen
- You can also buy a pollen filter for your car air vents
- Stop smoking. Smoking can irritate the lining of your airways and make your allergy worse.
If hay fever is affecting you servery and antihistamines have not worked, then book in to see your GP to discuss your symptoms and concerns. Private Health Insurance Get your health under control with access to Private Health Insurance, we have a wide range of policies for you to choose from, and these have been designed to meet all needs and budgets. Simply get your free online quote today to see how little it costs to protect your health.
Private Health Insurance
Get your health under control with access to Private Health Insurance, we have a wide range of policies for you to choose from, and these have been designed to meet all needs and budgets. Simply get your free online quote today to see how little it costs to protect your health.
This content is subject to our Disclaimer.