Make this year your year for health and get 15% off ALL of our healthcare policies - Get a quote
When it’s cold, dark and miserable outside, it can be easy for us to reach for our favourite comfort foods, but we don’t always choose the right kinds. Having a healthy and hearty meal keeps us feeling warm and also provides important nutrients that help fight off the common cold. Here are three of our favourite healthy dinners which we hope you and your family will enjoy too!
Sausage and Bean Casserole
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil/or a low-calorie spray
- 8 reduced-fat pork sausages
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped celery stick
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400ml chicken stock (made up with ½ stock cube)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 100g sliced greens
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or flameproof casserole dish over a medium-high heat. Cook the sausages for 5 mins until browned all over. Remove the sausages from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Cook the onion, celery, carrot and garlic in the same pan over a medium-high heat for 10 minutes, until softened.
- Return the sausages to the pan and add the tinned tomatoes, stock and paprika. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Stir in the beans and greens, cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes until the greens have softened. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle over some black pepper, serve with additional seasonal vegetables.
Black Bean Chilli
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil/or a low-calorie spray
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp paprika or mild chilli powder
- 3 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- Fry off the garlic and onions in a large saucepan for 5 mins until almost softened. Add the paprika and cumin, cook for a few mins and then add the vinegar, sugar, tomatoes and season to taste. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add black beans and cook for another 10 minutes. Serve with rice and additional vegetables of your choice.
- olive oil/or a low-calorie spray
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 aubergines, roughly chopped
- 3 mixed peppers, roughly chopped
- 3 courgettes, roughly chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp sugar/or sweetener
- 1 tsp Italian mixed dried herbs
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onions, garlic, aubergines and peppers, and cook for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the courgettes and fry for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients, season and bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes until tender.
Source: https://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/ratatouille Private Health Insurance For even more help and advice about how you can stay healthy, take private health insurance out with us and we’ll give you access to our Health and Wellbeing support services. You’ll find various wellbeing resources and even four-week programmes on a range of different topics from eating healthy to losing weight!
Private Health Insurance
For even more help and advice about how you can stay healthy, take private health insurance out with us and we’ll give you access to our Health and Wellbeing support services. You’ll find various wellbeing resources and even four-week programmes on a range of different topics from eating healthy to losing weight!
This content is subject to our Disclaimer.
We offer Private Health Insurance that can cover some pre-existing conditions.
Live a healthier lifestyle and get 20% off a Nuffield Health Gym membership when you take out any policy with us.