You could win a Smiggle Bundle worth over £100 - Enter our competition here
Left-over Halloween Pumpkin Recipes
It’s that time of year again when your children beg you to go pumpkin picking. You gather around the table and scoop out the seeds and pulp, but now what, you have to throw it all away…? Well, we’ve come to the rescue with three healthy ways to use the rest of your pumpkin. Waste not, want not!
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
Plain and simple pumpkin seeds make a great snack any time of the day! These seeds are roasted with chilli flakes, but you can also add fennel, thyme or any other spices.
- Pumpkin seeds
- Olive oil
- Chilli flakes
- Separate your seeds from the flesh of the pumpkin and wash in a bowl of water, drain and blot with a paper towel.
- Spread your seeds onto and baking tray and drizzle olive oil over the top followed by chilli flakes.
- Mix well and bake in an oven at 80°C/350°F/gas 4 for around 10 minutes, or until seeds are lightly golden brown.
Pumpkin soup is the ultimate no-fuss lunch, great for taking to work or enjoying at home.
- 4 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1kg pumpkin
- 700ml vegetable stock
- Coriander, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a big saucepan and gently cook 2 finely chopped onions and minced garlic until soft.
- Add 1kg peeled, deseeded and chopped pumpkin to the pan keep on cooking and stirring frequently for a further 10 minutes.
- Pour 700ml vegetable stock into the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins until the pumpkin is very soft.
- Blend until smooth, pour back into the saucepan and heat up. Serve with a little coriander on top.
It wouldn’t be autumn without pumpkin pie! This comforting dessert is the best way of using up your pumpkin.
For The Pumpkin Pie:
- 450g prepared pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut it into equal-sized pieces
- 1 medium egg
- 100-125ml milk
- 100g golden caster sugar
- ½ level tsp ground ginger
- ½ level tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 6 tbsp sultanas or raisins
For The Pastry:
- (Or Use 250g Shop Bought Shortcrust Pastry)
- 150g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- ½ level tsp baking powder
- 60-75g fat (you can use half and half butter and lard)
- Steam the pumpkin for 20-30 mins until tender (or put it in a bowl in the microwave with 1 tbsp water, cover and cook on high for 15-20 mins, until tender). Let it drain well, then mash it finely or rub it through a sieve. Set aside for the filling.
- To make the pastry: Sift the flour into a bowl with the salt and baking powder. Rub in the fat and mix to a stiff paste with just over 2tbsp water.
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C, gas 6. Roll the pastry out big enough to line a 20cm pie plate, trim the excess and decorate around the edge, using a fork.
- Line the pastry with foil, fill with baking beans and blind bake for 10-12 mins.
- Beat the egg in a large bowl, and add milk, sugar, spices and vanilla. Stir in pumpkin and raisins.
- Spoon the filling into the pastry case. Bake for 20 mins, then turn the oven temperature down to 180C, gas 4 and bake for another 15-25 mins.
Don’t forget the animals… It’s all well and good feeding ourselves, but what about our garden visitors? Give the squeaky squirrels and sniffing hedgehogs a treat, they love pumpkins – place yours at the bottom of the garden and they will nibble away happily. Keep some of the seeds for the birds too, you could even try making your own bird feeder!
Private Health Insurance Take control of your health with Private Health Insurance, which has been designed to give you and your family peace of mind. Just get your free quote, choose the cover option that best suits your needs and apply online today!
Private Health Insurance
Take control of your health with Private Health Insurance, which has been designed to give you and your family peace of mind. Just get your free quote, choose the cover option that best suits your needs and apply online today!
This content is subject to our Disclaimer.
We're here to help you prepare for 'Back to School' and take the pressure off by offering you the chance to win Smiggle Bundle filled with over £100 worth of stationery must-haves for your kids, giving you one less thing to worry about! Terms apply.
Live a healthier lifestyle and get 20% off a Nuffield Health Gym membership when you take out any policy with us.