As the impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) is now taking effect across the UK and in many other parts of the world, you may have queries about how it could affect your health, travel and business. For the latest updates, support and guidance visit our Coronavirus page.
Healthy snacks your kids will love: eating well this summer
Stuck in a snacking rut? Lost for inspiration on what to give your kids to graze on? When the fruit bowl just won’t cut it, jazz up snack time with these healthy and creative ideas!
The summer holidays are coming and so is the return of popular phrases such as, “I’m hungry”, “can I have a snack?” and “are we there yet?” You might feel like you’re always preparing snacks whether you’re having a lazy day at home or getting ready for a day out.
It’s important to eat well during the summer holidays especially in between indulging with the odd treat, but that doesn’t mean snack time has to be boring! Here are four different fun snack ideas you and your kids can enjoy this summer!
There’s nothing better than a cold, refreshing slice of watermelon on a hot day and if you’re looking for a sweet treat the whole family can enjoy, this watermelon pizza is fun and easy to make. Even better, watermelon has an incredible 92% water content, keeping you cool and hydrated.
You will need:
- A watermelon
- Low-fat yogurt
- Selection of your favourite fruit (chopped)
- Slice your watermelon in half and cut a round slice about 1-3 inches thick, then cut into wedges just like a pizza.
- Spread over some yoghurt and scatter over with chopped fruit of your choice.
Recipe idea from https://choosingchia.com/watermelon-pizza/
Fruit Ice Lollies
One of the best things about summer is ice cream and although it’s always very tempting to buy an ice cream or lolly when you hear the classic tunes blaring out of the ice cream van, you can easily make your own fruit ice pops at home. They’re so easy to make and store so you can have your own supply of ice lollies without having to listen out for the ice cream van.
You will need:
- Ice lolly moulds
- Wooden lolly sticks
- Sugar-free lemonade
- Prepare your fruit - wash your berries, slice the strawberries, peel and slice the kiwi and the mango.
- Begin to fill your ice lolly moulds with layers of fruit ensuring everything is compact against the sides of the mould so that the fruit doesn’t move when the liquid is added.
- Fill up the moulds with lemonade and gently tap to ensure all gaps between the fruit are filled.
- Add the lolly stick in the middle of each mould taking care not to disturb your layers.
- Pop your moulds into the freezer and leave overnight until completely frozen.
Recipe idea from https://www.eatsamazing.co.uk/
Kids love sandwiches, especially without the crusts, so these silly frog sandwiches are the best of both worlds. You can hide plenty of salad in between the bread in the hope your kids will eat it anyway because they like the way it looks!
You will need:
- Two slices of bread of your choice
- Slice of cucumber cut lengthways
- Stuffed olives
- Other fillings of your choice
- Round cutter
- Cut a round from each slice of bread.
- Cut a piece of cucumber lengthways for the frog’s tongue.
- Prepare the rest of your chosen fillings and begin to assemble your frog.
- Top your sandwich with two stuffed olives or grapes for the frog’s eyes.
Recipe idea from https://kidsactivitiesblog.com/
Everyone loves a kebab, especially fruit kebabs! Kids will absolutely love these fruit wands, they would make an extra special treat at birthday parties, BBQs or for dessert! The best thing is, you can be as creative as you like and get the whole family involved.
You will need:
- Wooden skewers
- Star cutter
- Blueberries, grapes and/or strawberries
- Prepare and wash your fruit.
- Slice your watermelon and use a cutter to cut out stars from the flesh.
- Assemble your wands – stick your berries or other fruit through the middle of each skewer and top with the watermelon stars.
Recipe idea from https://partywithunicorns.com/
Private Health Insurance Future proof your health with Private Health Insurance from General & Medical Healthcare. We have a wide range of policies to suit all needs and budgets, including our Lifestyle range which is designed with family in mind. Take out a Lifestyle policy and get full cancer cover, access our 24-Hour Advice Line and enhanced level of cash benefits including personal accident and maternity benefit. Get a no-obligation quote today!
Private Health Insurance
Future proof your health with Private Health Insurance from General & Medical Healthcare. We have a wide range of policies to suit all needs and budgets, including our Lifestyle range which is designed with family in mind. Take out a Lifestyle policy and get full cancer cover, access our 24-Hour Advice Line and enhanced level of cash benefits including personal accident and maternity benefit. Get a no-obligation quote today!
This content is subject to our Disclaimer.
Join us for a month of mindfulness where we explore the benefits of yoga, relaxation and meditation for a happy mind and a healthy body. To kick things off, we're' giving you the chance to win a Health & Wellbeing Bundle worth over £150! To enter, just take out a healthcare policy with us! Terms apply.