We've teamed up with Anytime Fitness & Nuffield Health to exclusively offer you a discounted gym membership when you take out a health insurance policy with us.
Stuck in the office trap? Surrounded by endless paperwork and blinking screens. Don't let the corporate routine keep you stuck in a chair; you can avoid the dangers of an inactive lifestyle. Revitalise your health at your desk with deskercise: simple, strategic movements that keep your body active and your health thriving, even within the confines of your workspace.
Your muscles hurt in protest after a brutal workout but imagine the opposite – subtle stretches and micro-workouts seamlessly woven into your workday. That's the point of deskercising. These small bursts of activity offer a wide range of benefits:
- Prolonged sitting slowly decays your health, increasing the risk of obesity, heart disease, and diabetes. Deskercise disrupts this sedentary cycle, boosting blood flow and combatting the harmful effects of static posture.
- Short bursts of movement can re-energise your body and mind, reducing fatigue and improving focus.
- Deskercise stretches and micro-movements can loosen tight muscles, alleviate pain, and improve your overall posture.
- Feeling overwhelmed by deadlines and emails? Deskercise serves as a mini-meditation, taking your mind off stressors and promoting a sense of calm and well-being.
- Believe it or not, taking movement breaks can actually boost your productivity. Deskercise improves blood flow to the brain, enhancing focus and cognitive function, leading to sharper decision-making and a more efficient workday.
These five deskercise moves require zero equipment and minimal space, making them perfect for even the most cramped cubicle:
- Wall Sit:
This simple exercise packs a punch. Stand with your back against the wall, feet shoulder-width apart, and slide down until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Hold for a minute (if you're a beginner, start with 30 seconds) and feel the burn in your quads and core. This move strengthens your entire lower body, sculpts your calves, and improves balance.
- The Printer Pump (Calf Raises):
Turn printer trips into leg-shaping exercise! While that document prints, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and rise up on your toes as high as you can. Hold for a second, then slowly lower back down. Repeat this 10-15 times while the printer churns. Calf raises not only tone your lower legs but also improve balance and ankle stability. If its too easy, you can do them on one leg at a time.
- The Neck Roller:
Our necks have so much tension built up from over years of hunching over screens. Give them some TLC with gentle neck rolls. Slowly roll your head clockwise and counter-clockwise, then tilt your ear towards each shoulder, feeling the stretch along your neck and upper back. Repeat this a few times throughout the day to loosen tight muscles and prevent headaches.
- The Ab Squeeze:
No one needs to know you're secretly sculpting your core! Take a deep breath, engage your abdominal muscles, and pull your belly button towards your spine. Hold for 5-10 seconds, then release. Repeat this simple move throughout the day for a subtle but effective core workout.
- Shoulder Shrug:
This one's for when your colleagues aren't looking. Raise both shoulders towards your ears, hold for 5 seconds, then release. Repeat 15 times. Don't be fooled by its simplicity – shoulder shrugs target the trapezius muscles, which are crucial for good posture and can make lifting and bending tasks easier.
Aim for 5-10 minutes of deskercise every hour, incorporating these moves or experimenting with others like arm circles, wrist stretches, and even chair squats. Take advantage of short breaks and even set alarms to remind yourself to move.
Level up your deskercise with these additional tips:
- Water is crucial for proper muscle function and energy levels. Keep a big bottle of water bottle handy and sip throughout the day.
- Take phone calls standing up whenever possible. Even better if you can walk around while talking.
24 Hour GP Advice Included within our Lifestyle and Elite policies, is the 24-Hour GP Advice Line. This service provides unlimited access to private GP telephone consultations, medical advice, diagnoses and treatment options, all from the comfort of your home.
24 Hour GP Advice
Included within our Lifestyle and Elite policies, is the 24-Hour GP Advice Line. This service provides unlimited access to private GP telephone consultations, medical advice, diagnoses and treatment options, all from the comfort of your home.
This content is subject to our Disclaimer.
We offer Private Health Insurance that can cover some pre-existing conditions.