Summer Deals - 20% off ALL our private healthcare plans. Get your quote today using code 'SALE' or view our other summer offers
National Baking Week
Here at General and Medical, we are celebrating National Baking Week! Yes, there is a week dedicated to baking treats - we are excited too. We would like to share three healthy and wholesome recipes which include fruit, seeds and nuts.
We recognise the problems of consuming too much sugar, overindulgence can lead to diabetes which can cause heart disease, stroke, vision loss and other conditions. Enjoy your treats in moderation, as part of a well-balanced diet.
Cinnamon Berry Granola Bars
These delicious granola bars make the perfect snack for all the family at lunchtimes, on the go or just with a cup of tea. Each tasty morsel is bursting with warming cinnamon and juicy berries.
- 100g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 200g porridge oats
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 50g sesame seeds
- 50g chopped walnuts
- 3 tbsp honey
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g dried cranberries, cherries or blueberries (or a mix of all)
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Grease and line the base of an 18 x 25cm tin.
- Mix the oats, seeds and nuts in a roasting tin and toast in the oven for 5-10 mins.
- Meanwhile, warm the butter, honey and sugar in a pan, stirring until the butter is melted. Add the oat mix, cinnamon and dried fruit, mix until the oats are well coated.
- Press into the baking tin and bake for 30 mins. Leave to cool in the tin before cutting into 12 bars.
Banana and Blueberry Muffins
These muffins are the ultimate morning treat, best served warm with fresh fruit, a glass of fruit juice or a nice cup of tea. Not only are these muffins quick and easy to make, they’re also freezer friendly!
- 300g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 50g porridge oats, plus 1 tbsp for topping
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 284ml buttermilk
- 5 tbsp light olive oil
- 2 egg whites
- 150g blueberries
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
- Find a large bowl and tip in your flour and bicarbonate of soda. Mix in 50g of oats and all but 1 tbsp of sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and add the buttermilk, oil and egg whites, give it a good mix until well combined.
- Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and quickly pour in the liquid mixture and stir. The mix will look lumpy and may have the odd fleck of flour still visible, but don’t be tempted to over-mix.
- Tip in the blueberries and stir once more. Spoon your batter into the muffin cases and sprinkle the rest of the sugar and oats over the top.
- Bake for 18-20 mins until risen and dark golden. Leave on a wire cooling rack until warm and enjoy.
Mango and Passion Fruit Roulade
Looking to impress dinner guests? This fruity roulade is tasty and believe it or not, low in fat. This sponge uses eggs as the raising agent so it is as light as a feather!
- 3 eggs
- 85g golden caster sugar, plus 1 tbsp
- 85g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- flesh from 2 large, ripe passion fruits
- 2 mangoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 250g frozen raspberries, defrosted
- 200g tub 2% Greek yoghurt or very low-fat fromage frais
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6 and grease and line a 30 x 24cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together with an electric whisk until thick, light and doubled in size – this should only take about 5 minutes.
- Lightly fold in the flour, baking powder and vanilla. Then tip into the tin, level off and bake for 12-15 mins until golden and springy.
- Turn onto another sheet of paper, dusted with 1 tbsp caster sugar. Roll the paper up inside the sponge and leave to cool completely.
- Fold sugar, passion fruit pulp and one-third of the mango and raspberries into the yoghurt.
- Unroll the sponge, spread with the filling and roll. Serve with the rest of the fruit on the side.
Private Health Insurance Take control of your health with Private Health Insurance, which has been designed to give you and your family peace of mind. We can offer you cover for up to two pre-existing conditions, including diabetes. Just get your free quote, choose the cover option that best suits your needs and apply online today!
Private Health Insurance
Take control of your health with Private Health Insurance, which has been designed to give you and your family peace of mind. We can offer you cover for up to two pre-existing conditions, including diabetes. Just get your free quote, choose the cover option that best suits your needs and apply online today!
This content is subject to our Disclaimer.
We offer Private Health Insurance that can cover some pre-existing conditions.